Sex Offenders On Probation/Parole Will Again Have Halloween Curfew | Crime
The South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services will again have a curfew for offenders under its supervision for a sex offense.
A little more than 900 persons are on supervision by the department for sex offenses.
Last year, SCDPPPS did 772 residence checks and phone calls of sex offenders (offenders in some counties attended mandatory on-site events). A total of four arrests were made and an additional 12 offenders received sanctions for violations.
“The Halloween curfew has worked well in the past to provide peace of mind to the public. We want parents to know that there is an extra measure of protection when their children go Trick-or-Treating,” said SCDPPPS Director Kela E. Thomas.
Halloween Rules for sex offenders on Probation, Parole and other forms of community supervision under the jurisdiction of SCDPPPS:
• Curfew: 5:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. statewide on Halloween day.
• This applies to all persons under supervision for a sex offense. (Note: This does not apply to all sex offenders, many of whom are no longer on probation or parole and therefore not under the jurisdiction of SCDPPPS.)
• Curfew will be enforced through agent surveillance techniques in all counties in the state.
• Sex offenders have been notified there will be no lights on outside their houses; no candy distribution; no participating in Halloween parties or carnivals.
• Registered sex offenders in some counties will have to report to a designated location for the duration of the curfew. They will be notified by their Probation/Parole Agents.
Additional Tips for Parents on Halloween
1. Don’t be alarmed. Children may enjoy trick-or-treating with a responsible adult.
2. You might want to check the State Law Enforcement Division web site for sex offenders in your neighborhood if you are particularly concerned: (http://services.sled.sc.gov/sor/) .
For more information, contact Peter O’Boyle, SCDPPPS Public Information Director, at (803) 734-9267 (cell) (803) 667-2214.